Studies International Students Research

International Students

Entry, Residence and Admission

Below you will find detailed information in order to facilitate the administrative procedure connected to entry, residence and admission of foreign students when studying at Danube University Krems, Austria.

1. Entry without Visa

Citizens of the following countries do not need a visa for entering Austria:


Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, Denmark, Germany, El Salvador, Estonia, European Union, Finland, France, Greece, Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Guatemala, Honduras, Hong Kong, Ireland, Iceland, Israel, Italy, Korea, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macao, Malaysia, Malta, Knights of Malta, Mexico, Monaco, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Netherlands, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Sweden, Switzerland, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Czech Republic, Hungary, Uruguay, Venezuela, United States of America, United Nations, Cyprus

A valid travel document (passport) is required for entering Austria.

If your stay exceeds 3 months you have to apply for a Residence Permit for students ("Aufenthaltsbewilligung" please see below "3. Residence Permit")

2. Entry with Visa

Citizens of the following countries need a visa for entering Austria:


Afghanistan, Egypt, Albania, Algeria, Angola, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Chad, Colombia, Comoros, Congo, Democratic Republic Congo, China, Cote d’Ivoire, Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Djibouti, East Timor, Ecuador, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Ghana, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, India, Indonesia, Iraq, Iran, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kyrgyzstan, Kiribati, Korea, Democratic PR, Kosovo, Kuwait, Laos, Lesotho, Lebanon, Liberia, Libyan Arab. Dschamah, Madagascar, Malawi, Maldives, Mali, Morocco, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Mauritius, Macedonia, Micronesia, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nauru, Nepal, Niger, Nigeria, Northern Marianas, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Peru, Philippines, Qatar, Refugees, Rwanda, Russian Federation, Solomon Islands, Samoa, Sao Tomè and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sri Lanka, St. Lucia, St. Christopher and Nevis, St.Vincent andGrenadine, South Africa, Stateless, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Syria, Tajikistan, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tonga Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, United Arab Emirates, Vietnam, Western Samoa, Yemen, Zambia, Zimbabwe

Please contact the Austrian Embassy in your home country and apply for visa.


If your stay exceeds 3 months you have to apply for a Residence Permit for students ("Aufenthaltsbewilligung" please see below "3. Residence Permit")

3. Residence Permit

Residence Permit application form (in German - "Antrag auf Erteilung einer Aufenthaltsbewilligung für Studierende"): Download: WORD DOCUMENT or PDF

Instructions to application form in English: DOWNLOAD HERE

The following documents are required:

1. Completed and signed application form
2. Valid and signed passport (passport must be valid until at least 3 months beyond return and must have a blank page to affix the residence permit)
3. Copies of previous passports
4. 1 recent photograph (passport format, color, front view)
5. Original or notarized copy of Birth Certificate
6. Original Certificate of Good Conduct /Criminal Record (not older than 3 months)
7. Proof of health/travel/accident insurance (original letter from insurance company confirming coverage in Austria)
8. Proof of sufficient financial resources (f.e. scholarship, letter of grants, bank statement of last 2 months, other proof of income; parent's account accepted for students only). If your age is below 24 years you need EUR 426,57/month = EUR 5118,84/year; if your age is above 24 years you need EUR 772,40/month = EUR 9268,80/year
9. Proof of accomodation in Austria (f.e. lease contract, ownership papers)
10. 1 set of fotocopies of all supporting documents
11. Letter of Acceptance of Danube University Krems (see below - 4 "Admission Process/Letter of Acceptance")

All foreign-language documents must be translated into German by a professional translating service.
Applications must be submitted personally.
Please note that there is no legal claim on obtaining a residence permit for students.
Please allow at least 2 months processing time (all applications have to be sent to Austria).
Costs: EUR 110,-

4. Admission Process/Letter of Acceptance

As soon as you have chosen the LLM program you would like to attend, you have to follow the steps of our application process as below:


Step 1 - Application
Please fill in the application form (please download from our program webpage) and submit it to us (by post, fax, or E-mail) together with an Europass CV and the relevant documents (scans of the original, such as law degrees, passport, proof of English proficiency etc) electronically

Step 2 – Interview
The second step of our application process is an interview with the program coordinator. The interview takes place after the preliminary review of the application and can be done on the phone or personally. Please make an appointment for this interview with the program coordinator.

Step 3 – Admission/Letter of Acceptance
As soon as we have received your application we will confirm it to you. After having checked your application and documents we will issue a letter of acceptance and send it to you together with our invoice covering the study fee.

Step 4 – Enrollment
As soon as Danube University has received payment of your study fee you will be enrolled in the chosen LLM program.

Useful Links

Austrian Foreign Ministry (in English)
Austrian Representations (in German)
Austrian Interior Ministry (Entry - in German)
Accomodation on Campus Krems (in German)
Austrian Academic Guest Service (OEAD) (in English)
Life in Austria (in English)