The Rectorate manages the University and represents the latter in external matters. Together with the University Council it plans the University's strategic development and counsels the latter with the Senate. In cooperation with the faculties it devises a plan of development which includes decisions concerning major points of focus in teaching and research as well as measures for further internationalization and enhancement of the University's activities.
The Rectorate's tasks are established in § 22 (1) of the University Law 2002. These include the following:
- Presenting a plan of organization for adoption by the University Council
- Formulating a draft for a service level agreement
- Nomination of heads of organizational units
- Issuing the authority to teach
- Admission of students
- Ordering and publishing evaluations
- Presenting the balance sheet and the work progress report to the federal minister
The Rectorate's tasks in detail are established in the bylaws of Danube University Krems.